April 20, 2008

a reminder of sorts

i agreed to attend pilates with juli yesterday at the fitness first branch in southmall and while i was driving, i realized that i didn't have my wallet with me. i had no money, credit card, driver's license not even my fitness first card. i didn't want to go back to the house for two reasons - one, is that i will be late for the pilates class; and two, i had driven already a good distance from our house and driving the rest wasn't that risky (i am such a model citizen, lol!). i fortunately had my company ID at the car so that sort of takes care of my access to the gym but i still didn't have any money. i thought walking around the mall with my gym clothes on was already funny, but being in a mall without any money was probably worst.

fortunately i managed to borrow some money from allan when he joined us at the gym later because juli & i decided to grab a bite to eat. its been a long time since i was faced with buying food on a strict budget - that's what having work affords you, the ability to just order what you want and sort out how much it cost later. it reminded me of life back in college when i had to budget everything from my allowance. life on a budget can be hard. i wasn't one of those rich la salle kids who had hefty allowances but we weren't poor either. i think having to add up in my head what i wanted to order so i don't overspend was a reminder that we don't have unlimited resources (i'm talking about money here). and its wise to keep that in mind. so far i've been extremely good at keeping my credit cards in order but i haven't been that strict in terms of spending within a budget. that little incident maybe is a reminder to start now.

No comments: