October 23, 2006

the agony of a canceled flight

everything is a little fuzzy now but i think it was around 820am (boarding time) when the ground crew announced that the flight was going to be delayed with an etd of 935am because of the weather conditions in LA. so i just tried to wait it out listening to my ipod tunes until around 945am or so when they announced that the flight has been officially canceled. bummer #1. it was my first time to have a canceled flight so i diligently fell in line when the ground crew asked us to if we had questions. it was after waiting for 20mins or so when a guy one person ahead of me asked what will happen to his international connecting that he was pointed to another booth. bummer #2. so i patiently left that area and went to the US Airways customer service wherein there were i think 10 people ahead of me with 4 service crew active - i thought "hmmm not bad, this wouldn't take long." i was dead wrong, each person took like 30-to-45-to-60 minutes to be serviced and i waited in that line for one hour and a half just to be told that (1) the earliest they can re-book me is at 1040am flight tomorrow; (2) i can be an standby for the flight tonight (but everybody is on standby); and (3) they're not going to rebook my cathay pacific flights and will not even shoulder if there are additional penalties since the weather is beyond their control. bummer #3. i asked for the number for cathay pacific and wow, i couldn't believe that since it was a sunday, there was literally NO ONE who can assist me from Cathay Pacific. i even opened my laptop then to check the cathay pacific website for any other number, zilch. bummer #4. so i ended up calling gizie and she gave me the number for american express travel which i called via my mobile phone (hahaha i didn't care about the roaming charges anymore) and they couldn't pull-up my file and while they were quite helpful, they couldn't do anything. useless travel agency. bummer #5. so i just proceeded to the baggage area to reclaim my luggages where the girl promptly told me it will take probably 45-60mins and i should just get lunch first - i didn't even realize it was already past noon that time. i settled for some whopper and fries at burger king and logged in to my laptop while i was eating. when i got back, she inquired about my luggages and it turns out they made it through to LA already. bummer #6. i think she felt sorry for me so she went and just gave me an overnight kit (containing toothbrush, deodorant, etc) and $75 discount certificate valid for one year (which i later on gave to gizelle). i decided to just proceed to the rental car building where i was shocked to see that there were like twenty people on line at hertz. it was another 30-45mins of waiting before i managed to get to the counter and the guy told me they only had mini-vans left. at this time i didn't even care how much the freakin' minivan cost so i just gave him my drivers license and amexco.

i met up with larry & gizelle at teakwoods where they were hanging out watching the football games where it turns out larry is a big fan of the denver broncos and i quite liked the arizona cardinals because matt leinhart is an awesome & ruggedly handsome quarterback. we went back to their house around 5pm where i managed to log in and i sent a note to my managers if i could buy some clothes. good thing i had a piece of clean undies on my carry-on (i was planning to take a shower at the lounge in HK when i got there). i didn't even wait for a reply back and just went to chandler fashion mall and bought 2 shirts at hollister - hahaha beat that! it was good that the travel agency back home (cavite) managed to rebook all of my flights so i am traveling on the night flight for cathay tomorrow. larry, gizie and i went to oregano's for dinner that night down in tempe where we waited for about 45mins to get a table. we had bread, salad and a pizza and the awesome pizza cookie (which i love so much).

when we got home, i was dead beat. it was then i realized that i didn't catch any major sleep last night so when i hit the sack, it was complete lights out for me.

sidebar : i sent my professor an email that i probably will not be able to make the midterms on wednesday just because my flight is just arriving that day. hopefully he is going to reply to my email or else i am going to die that day.

No comments: