March 16, 2007

flight gone wrong

i should have posted this a few days back but i got pretty busy working - yes, there's actually deadlines i need to work on. after seeing the film "300", i had a quick lunch, went to the office to print my online check-in confirmation and stop by gizie & larry's house. i was at the airport a bit later than i would have liked and since it was spring training (baseball) this time around, there was a long line on the check-in counters. i managed to check-in without so much fuss except that the lady told me i should balance out my luggages since my bigger luggage was 8lbs over. knowing the other bag didn't have any space left over, i decided to just shove a number of the shirts on my carry-on luggage.

i was relieved when we boarded the plane after walking a good distance since the terminal was at the far end of the airport (bummer!). i pretty much in between dozing off & waking up when i realized later on that we haven't really taken off. it turns out that we were about to take off but then a warning light came off the pilot's console and so we had to go back to the gate. they tried to troubleshoot it for about 30-45mins only to tell us that the plane wasn't flying anywhere. now, despite the setback, it was actually a relief that they caught the mechanical failure before we took off, who knows what would have happened then, right? we pretty much deplaned after the announcement and then waited for a while for them to sort it out. we were lucky that they were able to find another plane in record time and they directed us to proceed to the gate. again the terminal is at the other end of the gate where we docked - it was a freaking long walk and in flipflops, that didn't fare well with my aching feet.

we reached LA a little before 11pm and so after realizing my bags were already forwarded, i dashed off from terminal 1 to terminal 4 in a record 5mins to try and catch my 1120pm flight. i was out of breath when i got to the check-in counter and had to beg the people in line to let me go first. when i got to the counter, they told me the flight was closed but they can put me in the waiting list for the 120am flight. i went for a bite to eat and then later on managed to check-in both for my LA-HK and HK-MLA flight. Not only that, they seated me in a seat where no one was seating beside me so i had two seats. while two seats doesn't really substitute for a business class seat, it was good enough to at least have more room to stretch.

when we reached HK, i dashed to the Cathay Pacific business lounge for a quick shower. this is the part where i really like having the marco polo club card - having a shower after 14 hours feels like heaven and i managed to hydrate my already dry skin. the other good news was that when i was boarding, they said i had a change of seating and i already knew i've been upgraded to business class. and i have to say, business class seating is truly awesome. i only wish they'd give me the upgrade on a HK to LA flight instead, but hey, i'm not complaining. one more trip and i've got 3 free tickets to HK (from MLA) out of my mileage, that's reason enough to stick to this airline.

No comments: