December 29, 2008

is 60 the magic number?

i went to my tita's wake last night and realized that she passed away at the age of 60.  its the same age by which tita rory passed away at a few months back.  that kinda stuck to my head -  rationalizing that if 60 was the life expectancy these days then i am already past mid-life.  i'm quite happy that i'm alive and everyday i am thankful that God has given me another day here.  the thought of mortality doesn't really worry me now more than before probably because i've kinda dealt with the passing of people who were much much younger than me.  going through that has made me realize that i am lucky i'm still here - thirty four years and counting.  for some reason, writing that in numbers make me cringe and i'm hoping that putting it into words make it less obvious that i am quite aged. lol.

being in the wake somewhere in mandaluyong city made me reminisce of my childhood.  almost all of my cousins lived there except for some who lives in muntinlupa and us who lives in paranaque.  i couldn't believe how grown-up my nephews and nieces are already that i had to sigh when they came around to bless and say hi.  WTF?  i'm so not that old - or so i thought!  i realized that as the world turns, my nieces and nephews are now either in their late teens or even entering adulthood.  one nephew (who married early) is now even expecting his fourth child.  the next generation has indeed taken over our role as the kids in the clan from way back.  its not really that our time has passed that's depressing but more of the generation prior to us (the 'rents, the aunts and the uncles) are all sort of getting much, much older.  and that they are going to be with us a few more years seem more and more definite and real.  its one of the main reasons why working outside of the country is my least priority - i'd want to spend as much time with my loved ones because they are the people who mean a lot to me.

so while i struggle with the idea of turning another year older this 2009, i smile at the realization that i am living a fruitful and happy existence.  that i have learned my lessons well and i've made a difference in the lives of some people i know.

life goes on.  i'm here and i am still living for the here & now.

No comments: