January 17, 2006

written comprehensive examinations

i am going to take my wce (written comprehensive exams) this term. i could have taken the easy way out - refreshers! that meant i just needed to submit 7 papers and i should be done with the core subject reviews. i am pretty sure the mortality (failures!) for refresher courses are way less than that for wce's. i guess i'm kinda tired of doing term papers that i wanted to just take the exams. when i started taking my mba, i said i am just going to enjoy this and not put too much pressure on myself cause work was taking care of that part already. i guess the wce's will make or break my chances of graduating with a medal. if i fail one of the 7 subjects, then that's the end of it. so right now, there's this sword hanging above my head - i need to pass all of these freakin' exams.

marketing (feb 17) - this shouldn't be too difficult. i've managed to breeze through all of the quizzes for this subject even if i didn't really read the book. hey, i worked for a retail firm as my first job so i should know a little bit on how the business runs.

organizational behavior (feb 24) - this should involve lots & lots of memorization. though my memory isn't as good as it was back in high school & college, i think if i started reviewing for this early, i should be able to get enough info stuck in my head to pass.

financial management (mar 3) - unfortunately, i think i suck at finance (except for financial accounting) so this exam definitely is the big one. hopefully, if i start reviewing now, i can improve my chances of passing.

management science (mar 10) - this exam coincides with one of my really close friend's wedding. too bad i am going to miss my friend's wedding considering this exam would be quite easy but long. simplex method, queueing, transportation problems, lp models ... you just gotta love math.

production/operations management (mar 17) - i work in a manufacturing firm. 'nuff said.

micro/macro-economics (mar 24) - heaven help me, economics is something i've never really found an interest in beyond the law of supply & demand. so yeah, i need to double up on my study hours for economics or i will fail this exam.

management accounting (mar 31) - ok, so i'm not good in finance generally, but hopefully i would have had time to review IRR's, NPV's, Capital budgeting to be able to answer & pass this exam.

i really need to start studing NOW. i'm late by 1 day already from when i promised to start. i need to catch up on my studying tonight. yeah, i'm a nerd but only for a few more months. after these series of exams, there's probably 2 more terms left. i need to add 1 more elective so i can graduate as a supply chain major. i should have really good chances of moving to another job once i finish my mba.

No comments: