May 17, 2007

will i feel the same?

recalling one time i was driving with a friend in one of my trips, we talked about the current state of our lives including the responsibilities we had to our families. it was when we started talking about what we want for the future that my friend broke down and admitted that there were times she felt trapped and obligated to fulfill her duties to her family. my heart goes out to her because while i believe she has a right to live out her own life, we filipinos are just wired that way. we were brought up to take care of our families, and when we are faced with that responsibility, turning our backs is never an option. you just do it.

sometime i try to convince myself than i won't let myself be put into that same position. but seeing how things are today, those who can, will and should help out. its not such a hard decision to help out now since i've sort of managed to straighten out my finances so that most of the time, i am able to save up. i guess i've wised up over the last couple of years, which turned out to be a blessing after my sister got hospitalized for quite some time towards the latter part of 2006. i'm starting to re-build my savings and so far, so good. i guess as long as i earn reasonably well then it won't feel like a financial burden.

having my nephew i guess as the one who benefits from all this is what makes the responsibility easier to carry. i don't feel obligated because i love my nephew so much. he brings so much joy to our family that seeing him smile is a reward in itself.

No comments: