November 08, 2006

starting over

i heaved a sigh of relief when the pc technician i brought my desktop to told me that my files were salvageable. it just needs to be transferred to another hard drive and then my old hard drive reformatted since turning it on & off the day before when the monitor wasn't working corrupted windows. i didn't think twice and bought another 160GB internal hard drive there and asked him to transfer my files, reformat my old hard drive and install windows xp back. i was actually glad for two things : one, that my files were safe (photo's & mp3s & tv shows) and two, that i didn't have to buy a new monitor (since i was eyeing already a lcd monitor). total cost was 4,500. ugh, unforeseen expenditures. well, at least that brought my hdd capacity to 320GB. hehehe

when i got home, it was actually a chore trying to reinstall most of the programs i normally use like utorrent, winamp, musicmatch, adobe photoshop cs, acrobat reader, newer itunes and replacing the antivir software with mcafee. this actually gave me a chance to sort of clean my hard drive - you know start with a more organized (read : OC) filing between both hard drives. mp3s & pictures on one drive. tv shows on another. delete all files & programs & whatevers that i don't use anymore. its a chance to start over.

while writing this, i wondered whether it was this easy to start over - new life, new friends, new career, new environment - new everything. is the difficulty worth it? or are we letting go of some things & some people that are worth keeping? i realized that if i was to start over, i probably will keep a "lot" of people and things. i do have friends that are meant for life and experiences that aren't that great but helped make me into the person i am today.

No comments: