January 30, 2008

hard choices

taking the last two weeks to think things through proved to be time well-spent. in more ways, i think God rewarded me with the signs i prayed for and i found it wasn't really that hard to convince myself i was making the right decision. i would have preferred to convey my decision via e-mail when i got back but my internet was down (for the last two days, frak!) and as much as i wanted to delay getting back at them, i received their follow-up call yesterday. after the phonecall, i decided to send them an e-mail using my mobile phone.

"Thank you for your interest in offering me a place in your prestigious company.

It is unfortunate that at this time, due to the current state of my family, we have decided that it is best for me to stay for the time being. I am very thankful for this opportunity and wish you all the best. I hope that I will have the pleasure to work with you in the future."

a lot of friends had all given very sound advice and i have read and taken all of it to heart. some of you may feel i squandered a perfectly good opportunity and maybe i did but i know in my heart this decision was right for me. there was a fleeting feeling of loss after i told them about my decision but after seeing my nephew, getting hugged and showered with kisses, i couldn't imagine life without him. i know some of my friends would not agree with my decision - believe me it was a hard decision to make because in some ways, moving abroad was like a dream. i realized though that some dreams are better left where they are because the reality is this - where i will be happy is with my family, and there's not enough money they can offer to replace that.

No comments: