September 04, 2006

going away

we had dinner with leny last friday in uva @ greenbelt 2 since she is moving to new zealand this coming thursday. while trying to write something about that dinner, i just realized that that despedida dinner was actually a second among many more despedidas to come. degs & michelle (both dear friends) were the first to move (after a long hiatus) off to sydney. leny is next in line and there's jordan, rhaleigh and elmers following suit i think in that order. should i stay or should i go - do a jim paredes at least, not deadset on australia but maybe some other country. singapore will be an easier decision for me since the nearness of it means its not imperative that i bring my whole family with me. i'd be able to live that independent life i've been craving for a long, long time. if i wanted to, i think i would be able to buy a condo right now, but i can't think only of myself right now - can't be selfish when i have my nephew and my mom to think of.

hmmm, enough of this for now - this space is for leny. i've worked with leny a number of times over the past few years and we definitely had our share of ups & downs. in a way, we both were strong-minded individuals and we were stubborn at times that we consistently had petty arguments. i guess the passing of time has mellowed both of us and developed a certain respect for each other. while leny and i never did become really close friends, what we had was enough for me to attend her despedida dinner. the chicken inasal i had at uva was quite good - chicken was juicy (not dry) and was perfect with the mashed potatoes that went with it. it was fun to talk about the future and how it is in new zealand on a full stomach and people always look better in pictures when they're stuffed. there was a bunch of us who went to the dinner - ces, elmer & joey, ting, arlene, juan and joyce. we talked about what life will be for leny for the first few months of moving to new zealand - without work, without a home. she & her family is really starting from scratch - in a way for me, this is actually a chance to wipe the slate clean - to start over and right the wrongs of the past. hearing leny talk about it made me scared and excited at the same time - its a big gamble alright. it scary to be in leny's shoes, specially for me right now seeing how comfortable my life is today. what keeps me interested though is hearing the words "you can't win the lottery if you at least don't buy a ticket." i know that pretty soon, i am going to buy my lottery ticket - and see where that leads me.

No comments: