August 31, 2006

looking ahead

while attending a meeting this morning, some good friends clued me in on the latest in our group's reorganization - particularly on the n-2's. "i'm to report to the devil who doesn't wear prada" t'was what they first told me - i was quite dumbstruck at first and wanted they make sure they weren't pulling my leg. but the source was quite credible and they wouldn't joke on something like that. my mind was on overdrive trying to make sense whether this was "karma" in the bad way or if this was an opportunity depending on how i looked at it. i called my source up and even did netmeeting and my source showed me the org material itself and my name was printed there crystal clear. yes, i am going to report to Da Devil Who Doesn't Wear Prada and i'm technically moving to another group (from capacity to capital) but the bigger change is that i am going to work on the EMS project as project manager. It does sound like a good opportunity and i do have my reservations : the people i will be working with have much more knowledge about the whole project than i have so i need some serious catching up; as project manager, they will indirectly be accountable to me at least projectwise; and lastly, i've been kind of conditioned a long time to working by myself that it will be challenging to manage the project specially if all of them are US-based. Ugh, this is where the old adage "be careful what you wish for" comes back to bite me hard but i remain optimistic to do my best to be successful. its not going to be an easy feat but it does present a lot of opportunity particularly around promotion since the other project managers are relatively higher grade level than i am. so if i do good (and God help me, i will do great) then that ups my chances a lot. i think where i take solace in all these changes happening is that managers have faith in my abilities to put me as the project manager for EMS. That may mean i still have a "relatively" bright future in this organization. and that in itself, deserves a toast.

No comments: