August 04, 2006

what's not to like

at the beginning of the year, i was actually in a predicament because i was uber bored with the job i had. i actually still feel that way sometimes but i was thinking since i have a knack for seeing opportunities where they are thin and making something out of it, i'd be fine. so in a way i guess i managed to do that by getting myself involved in the current system development efforts, in which i have my own set of reservations now. but that's not the point of this post. i wanted to list down here what to and not to like about my job and what are the opportunities i think can help get me a good increase next focal.

what's to like :
1. travel. 4 weeks last year in the US roaming around New Mexico, Folsom, Oregon and Chandler. 7 weeks this year in Chandler. now if i can figure out a way to get to costa rica - hmmm.
2. free broadband, mobile subscription. yeah, i have dsl at home with a wireless router that i can reimburse. my mobile subscription is courtesy of the company though no one calls me from the company nowadays.
3. flexible hours. i don't need to work as much to KTBR. i need to work some "more" if i want to take on more projects. come to think of it, Q3-Q4 is the right time to take on significant, highly-impactful projects.
4. work from home. i can work from home anytime i want and i do not even have to adhere to the max 2x per week wfh rule of the factory (said my boss' boss). dami ko mealstubs.

what's not to like :
1. boredom. the KTBR portion of the job is killing me - don't really have to think so much i think my mind is getting slow. i guess its all in the attitude - if i want to get out of this boredom, i should seek out opportunities in what i do - see where the shining moments are.
2. exposure. i feel like my exposure is quite limited nowadays - mostly working with factory ie mgrs, factory ie's. i miss the thrill of working with a much more senior crowd.
3. promotion will be a bitch. i'm not sure if what i'm doing today (this year) will be enough to get a promotion next focal. i need that bad.

opportunities for q3/q4 :
1. cmo-cog. francis and i need to work on this one. if we can get the cv area ie's to implement this to success, we have a good chance of proliferating this to the platform. shining moment #1.
2. ems. so getting more ar's on this rr-ems stuff which can keep me busy the rest of the year. my head is still a bit blurry on how to shine here but if i can leverage on my influence in ATM and implement a standardized business process then that can be my salvation. shining moment #2.

there's only two shining moments in q3/q4, i need to find more. i hope like before, i don't have to look too hard for these, they usually come my way. time to put my head to work.

No comments: