July 20, 2006

when its time to say goodbye

recent events made me realize the sad reality that there are no certain things in this world. as we walk past this life, we realize that people come and go, whether its of their own choosing or its by circumstance or they just need a nice, long break. the news from last week about the company cutting 1,000 managers worldwide made everybody anxious - "will i have a job after the 1st wave? or the 2nd wave? or the 3rd wave?" seeing that there is really no job security right now, and where even performing managers become redundant makes me question what am i doing in this company? i've worked the past nine years to get to where i am today, building networks and upgrading my technical skills so i can earn the respect of my peers. it did seem that i was made to work in a dynamic environment like intel. at the start of the year, i was determined to make my work interesting but the flame that burned brightly that time soon faded and i was, for the first time in 9 yrs, updated my resume and was checking what my options were outside the company. my heart wasn't really into it so i wasn't really actively seeking employment elsewhere. i told myself i am going to finish my mba before i make plans like consider moving to another country or probably see, this time seriously, where else i can put my talents to good use. a lot of people i know, and i do mean a lot, are migrating to another country - australia, canada and new zealand tops the list. i always said working in the US seemed to be written in the palm of my hand - maybe that was a sign or a gut feel.

i am saddened though that some people i know will be leaving the company, some earlier than the others. they are moving to a new chapter in their lives while i write a continuation of my current story. i don't know yet when this chapter in my life is ending but as with all stories, it has to have an ending.

No comments: